An oral surgeon is a dental specialist with years of training and specialized experience performing surgeries to conditions that affect the facial bone, skin, and muscles, including the mouth and jaw. Their additional training after dental school qualifies them to perform hospital-based procedures and administer anesthesia. An oral surgeon can specialize in trauma, diseases, and corrective procedures. But what does this mean for you if you have a toothache or any other dental condition that requires more than a twice yearly visit? If you think that all oral surgeons do is extract wisdom teeth, think again! They do that, as well as a whole lot more.
Procedures an Oral Surgeon Can Perform
An oral surgeon can perform a broad range of surgical procedures that include:
- Tooth extractions, to include wisdom teeth
- Dental implant surgery
- Treatment of facial injuries such as skin lacerations and broken bones
- Surgery for oral structure damage such as knocked out or broken teeth and jawbone
- Correction of airway passages to treat obstructive sleep apnea
- Oncologic surgery or removal of neck, throat, and oral cancers
- Surgeries to improve mouth and jawbone function
- Facial trauma diagnosis and treatment, as well as facial reconstruction surgery
- Surgery to correct cleft lip, as well as tongue tie surgeries
- Corrective jaw or orthognathic surgery
- Correction of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Pre-prosthetic surgery to restore supportive structures before tooth replacement
- Tissue grafting
- Congenital craniofacial malformation surgery
- Treatment of infection
- Orthodontic surgery to improve jaw alignment
- Endodontic microsurgery or advanced root canal treatment
Of course, not every oral surgeon performs all these procedures. The best way to know is to ask your dentist if he in fact also is an oral surgeon and, if so, what procedures he performs. The answer may surprise you, as many family dentists also perform oral surgeries as part of their practice’s services.
Complete Dental Care in St. Paul
If you’re looking for a dentist who also practices oral surgery under cosmetic dentistry, Dr. Steven Hagerman of Hagerman Dental Care can respond to your dental needs. In fact, Dr. Hagerman is one of the top dentists in Twin Cities, find out how he can help you smile again with confidence. To schedule a consultation, call Hagerman Dental Care at (651) 646-2392 or send a request online now. Our friendly staff welcomes you to our calming and relaxing office in St. Paul.